Tuesday, September 18, 2012

WOW,,, second post of the day! LOL!!!

Dinner was great! The crockpotted chicken was very tender and moist..... although my crock cracked...... I had placed the cold chicken in the crockpot, covered it with the sauce, and then turned it on.....about 10 minutes later I hear this big CRACK... then 2 more smaller ones..... BOO HOO... I should have know better. I should have placed the grate in the crock..... Good thing that I put the chicken and sauce in a crockpot bag. I can see the crack when I took the chicken out at dinner time, but it isn't cracked all the way through,,,, so not sure what I should do....still use it, or toss and see if I can get another one?  Dear Reader, if you have any ideas, please, leave me a comment... I really would appreciate knowing what you would do.

Anyway, the chicken was great! So were the roasted red garnet sweet potatoes! When I roasted and pealed them, I added a little bit of real maple syrup.. SOOOO good! I also use up some Bountiful Baskets zucchini, brussel sprouts and carrots !!! I cut up the medium sized zucchini into bite size pieces, grated the carrots, and cut the brussel sprouts in half... used 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of extra olive oil in the frying pan,,, then added the veggies, along with a sprinkle of garlic powder.... let it cook for a few minutes, then turned the burner off, put a lid on the pan, and the veggies were perfectly crisp tender when dinner was ready!!! I thought it tasted great!

Along with the chicken, veggies and sweet potatoes, I warmed up some rice/quinoa/garlic mixture. The guys liked the dinner, welllllllllllll the son isn't fond of sweet potatoes, but he ate the rest. 

I started to clean up the kitchen, but feel rotten, so will do that tomorrow. This cold, that I woke up with, got me down today, and I'm studying for the first exams that are tomorrow!!! SO much information!!!! Good stuff, though.

Today, on Dr. Oz, there was a Dr. who is using a different food pyramid than the one the government use to use, to show people what types of food to eat. (the pyramid has now been changed to MyPlate, though)... anyway, it was interesting to listen to the other Dr. today. His base is veggies,,, all sorts of good veggies..... Dr. Joel Fuhrman is the name of the Dr, and his book is called "Eat to Live"... I thought from what I heard him say, it sounded like a great way to eat.



I'm not sure that those in my Dietetic Tech program or the instructors would think it is sound and scientific, but just looks good. More research is in order... I may go buy his book... just to read. I think it's is based in the vegetarian type diet. Which isn't a bad way to eat either. Not sure I would do the all raw part either.... More on this after I do my research.

Here is a salad recipe from Dr. Fuhrman's website. VERY nutritionally dense!

Triple Treat Cabbage Salad
Serves: 4
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:
  • SALAD
  • 2 cups green cabbage, grated
  • 1 cup red cabbage, grated
  • 1 cup savoy cabbage, grated
  • 1 carrot, peeled and grated
  • 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup dried currants
  • 2 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
  • 2 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
  • 1 tablespoon unhulled sesame seeds
  • DRESSING
  • 1/3 cup soy, almond or hemp milk
  • 1 apple, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews or 1/4 cup raw cashew butter
  • 1 tablespoon Dr. Fuhrman's Spicy Pecan Vinegar or balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon dried currants
  • 1 tablespoon unhulled sesame seeds, lightly toasted*
Instructions:
Mix all salad ingredients together.

In a high powered blender, blend soy milk, apple, cashews and vinegar and toss with salad.

Garnish with currants and lightly toasted sesame seeds.

I just may try this one soon!'

Off to do a little more studying, then take some aspirin and go to sleep!

Sleep well, Dear Reader, and have a grand tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment