Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Dear Reader, This is my Chicken Tortilla Soup that I made today for our dinner!! Picture isn't very good, but the soup is!!!

So, here is how I made it. This is a big pot full, so adjust as needed for how much you want.

I took left over chicken from a roasted chicken... just pulled it apart in larger pieces. For those who want exact measurements.... sorry, I didn't measure,,, but about 3 - 5 cups of chicken would do.
2 - 32oz boxes of lower sodium/no MSG Chicken broth
2 - 10oz cans of Ro-Tel Mexican Lime & Cilantro Diced tomatoes.
2 - 15.5oz cans of Chili Beans (S&W is the brand I used)
1 - 15oz can of black beans
2 Tbsp chili powder (adjust to your taste)
2 tsp garlic powder
1 small jalapeƱo, finely diced (left in the seeds and membrane)
1 small bag of frozen corn
2 tsp of Mexican oregano

I just added everything to the pot and it will simmer on low for a couple hours and then be served with tortilla chips, sour cream, wedge of lime, cheddar cheese and a bit of cilantro. 

You can adjust the spices and saltiness. I am pretty salt sensitive, so usually don't add a lot it. If you like a thicker soup, take some tortilla chips and crush finely, then add to the soup.. let it simmer for a few minutes. The tortillas should thicken the soup. The Hubby will probably add some hot sauce or pepper sauce to make the soup spicier. 

Looking forward to dinner tonight!! YUM!!! Plus, I have a bad cold, and this will help the sinuses to clear a bit.

If you try this,,,please, leave a comment about how you liked it, or didn't... Any changes? Tell me that, too!

Off to take a nap,,, head is pounding.

Take care, Dear Reader. 





2 comments:

  1. Roni that sounds so good. May have to try that when it cools off.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good, Liz :) ... and the DH loved the little 'kick' from the jalepeno. We are going to have it again tonight! Think I might make some cornbread to go with it. :)

    ReplyDelete