Sunday, September 16, 2012

It is still smoky from the fires in Montana, Idaho and Washington.... yesterday and the day before were horrible!!! Most of the schools in Great Falls didn't let the kids outside for recess. The wind came up during the night and it is much clearer and less smelly today.... Prayers going up for all who are effected by the fires,,,, many are losing their homes,,, there have been some firefighter deaths this year, too.

The banana bread from yesterdays baking spree was very good. The hubby and I made 6 loaves.. 3 were plain banana bread and 3 were with walnuts. I would have added some mini chocolate chips to the 2nd batch, but none were in the cupboard. The hubby and son will take a couple loaves to the perspective jobs tomorrow. If it stuck around here, I'd eat too much of it.... It is nice, when I get in a baking mood, I can always send the stuff to work with the guys!

I've made this particular banana bread recipe for over 34 yrs. It was in a cookbook produced and sold by the axillary group at Gresham Community Hospital in 1978. My book is tattered, torn and has pen scribble marks from my oldest son, as he used the pages to draw on (he was two)! Memories! It has had a lot of use!!! Many of the recipes sure need to be revamped for healthier versions, but I love looking through it, and remembering the wonderful nurses, ER Staff, and  other staff members of GCH. The hospital is no longer the small community hospital it was when I worked there. I often wonder who remembers this little cook book.

When my sweet Mama passed away in July, my sisters and I were cleaning her apartment. She had many cookbooks and reading books. I happened to come across the same cookbook!!! I opened the first page to read a inscription that I had given it to her! I don't remember giving it to her, but lo and behold there on the back of the first page is my note to my Mom. Oh, the tears flowed. This cookbook now has a special place on my shelves. I'm so glad to have it. 

Anyway, here is the recipe as written in the book with some changes I made:

BANANA SOUR CREAM WALNUT BREAD
Submitted by: Becky Swartz 
From: Gresham Community Hospital's "Creative Cooking Cookbook"

Preheat oven: 350 F

Cream 2/3 C butter an 1-1/3 C sugar until light & fluffy. Add 2 eggs & 1-1/2 C mashed bananas (about 3 bananas) (I use slightly more and add 2 tsp of vanilla) Beat until well blended.
Sift together:
2-3/4 C sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Add the dry ingredients alternately with 1/2 C of sour cream to the banana mixture. Stirring JUST to blend. Do not over blend. Stir in 1 C of chopped walnuts (or nut of your choice)

Spoon batter into a 9x5x2-3/4" loaf pan, greased and floured on bottom of pan only (or use Pam). Bake in a 350F oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until cake tester come out clean. (I use smaller loaf pans, so it makes 2 loaves and takes about 40-45 minutes. I check after 35 minutes). Remove loaf from pan and let cool thoroughly on wire racks. I always brush the tops of the loaves with butter) Wrap in foil or plastic. It will store in the frig for several weeks, or can be frozen and stored in freezer for about 2 months.

Now, Dear Reader, the banana bread never lasts several weeks for my family! LOLOL!!! Not sure I would let it stay that long anyway. We have used this recipe to make mini loaves and then froze them for gifts at Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Perhaps, in future blog posts I'll share some more of the recipes in this special cookbook.

Leave a comment, if you too have a special cookbook, or recipe. Tell me about it! I would love to read your story or stories.

Off to get some homework done. Learning a lot and hoping it stays in my brain!! Our first exams are this week...... ewwwww!!   



                    



 

No comments:

Post a Comment